Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Great Cake Cutting Debate

How do you feel about the whole cake smashing debate? It seems to me that you’re either on one side of the fence or the other…you’re either in favor of the act of smashing cake in your newly married loved one’s face, or you’re not. Can you tell which side of the fence that I’m on? LOL.

Me thinking that there were only two sides to this argument was my first mistake…me trusting my husband 100% was my second mistake.

So here’s how it went down. After the toasts were over and hugs went all around, the DJ announced that it was time to cut our cakes. I really, really, really hated to slice into our main cake…it was THAT perfect! But slice it up is what we eventually did. First, we moved into position and everyone (or everyone that wanted to see) crowded around the table. There was a brief moment when a wayward kid got too close to the table and I thought that the whole thing might come crashing down, but luckily that didn’t happen!

We picked up the carving knife, and that’s the moment that B thought to ask me how exactly we were supposed to do this…in hindsight, it might have been a good idea to practice this before the moment was caught on camera. I’m just making a suggestion, do with it what you will. But cutting a sliver of cake to feed to your new husband/wife is definitely harder than it looks!

So we moved into position behind the table and I gave B quick instructions to just cover my hand with his and I would guide him through the process…thinking in my head that since I bake/cook so much that I was the pro at this.
We make the first cut…
And all looks well – so far so good as we go in for the second cut…
I remove the knife from the cake and turn it horizontal so that the blade is flat and can be used to pull the cut piece out of the main body of the cake.
At least that was my intention…but you can see the look of "concern" starting on my face as I realize that maybe this isn’t going to happen the way it turns out in the “picture perfect” reel playing in my head...
By now, I’ve got some of the cake balanced on the knife, and realize that the only thing holding it upright is the rest of the cake. That’s all I can say about the face that I’m making…
Now I think that maybe, just maybe this is going to turn out all right because the cake is coming out, not toppled over (yet) and the plate is waiting in the wings to catch if needed…
Now you can see that maybe my plan isn’t working so well…B steps in to “save the day”
Success!! The cake is on the plate…didn’t fall off on the table…and now we can move on to tasting it.

Before taking my bite, I give B “the Look.” You know, the one that reminds him of the agreement that we had made earlier about NOT smashing cake in each other’s faces…then I open my mouth to get my bite.
But you can see that I’m still not 100% trusting him and I give him another "Look" as the piece is hovering right above my mouth…
He was a good groom and I got my piece of cake without incident…
This is me saying “Oh man, that is SO good!” without actually using words…
By this point, the crowd is getting antsy and they’re REALLY disappointed that B didn’t smash cake in my face. As the taunts get louder, I gather up a piece of cake to feed to B…and a look passes between us…
He licks off my fingers as I smile on…blissfully unaware of what his devious little mind has in store for me…
You see, while I was getting his piece ready and feeding it to him, his free hand was moving steadily toward the cake plate again…out of my line of sight…maybe you caught it? If not, I present Exhibit A:
Do you notice his free hand? Yeah…I didn’t.

So after feeding him his piece, I innocently lean in for a kiss from my groom…and since I love him SO much and am just basking in my newly married state of bliss…I am unaware of what’s about to hit me…
Yep, it was a finger-load of icing…placed ever so sweetly upon my cheek…
You can see my nose crinkling up there…but this is a better shot…
Mainly because it shows how proud of himself he was! He immediately destroys the rest of the “evidence” on his hand…
And I start giving him another “Look” but this time it might be in all caps – you know, a “LOOK!”
I have to admit that 6 months later, while writing this post, he was pretty smart. He kept his word to me in not smashing the cake all in my face while he fed it to me, which is what I definitely didn't want…and still managed to save face with his guy friends and get icing on me at some point during the process. It was the best of both worlds for him.

Me on the other hand? Oh, I was mad all right. Not like hold-a-grudge mad because after all, it’s just icing. It was more like an I-can’t-believe-that-you-did-that-to-my-makeup sort of mad. I wasn’t really upset…it was funny, and I love the pictures that came out of the event…so I guess he was right to do it the way that he did it. But I can’t say that I was 100% happy with him at the time.

So where do you stand on the cake-in-the-face issue? Are you planning on smashing your cake in your newly married spouse’s face? Or are you going to play nice? Maybe you could be like B and have the best of both worlds!

Up next is our First Dance, so I couldn’t stay mad for long…we had to take a quick break and let MOH help me get all of the extra icing off of my face before more photos were taken!

**All photos courtesy of Christina Carroll Photography

Need to catch up? Here’s some links:
Girls’ Spa Day
Bachelor/Bachelorette Party
Setting Up the Venue…
Practice Makes Perfect…
Rehearsal Dinner
5 Minutes is All that I Need
A “Quick” Stop at the Hair Salon
A Sneak Peek at the Venue...
Arriving at the Venue...to Stay!
Getting Dressed
The Maids Pose for the Camera...
Oops - I’m Out of Order!
The Boys Smile and Say “Cheese!”
It’s Show Time!
Here Comes the Bride!
Becoming Man and Wife...
We’re Man and Wife!
Family Pictures
Now THAT’S Love!
The “Group” Says Cheese!
Now It’s Just Us...
It’s the Smallest Things...
Here Comes the Bride! And Groom!
Raise Your Glasses...
Our Cake Buffet

No comments:

Post a Comment