Monday, March 8, 2010

A “Quick” Stop at the Hair Salon

Wow. That’s really all that I can say...I would have NEVER in a million years thought that it would take me this long to get started back on my re-caps...yikes. I guess now I understand how all of those bees over on Weddingbee don’t just start re-capping right away...sometimes life gets in the way and it takes you a little bit.

Something like this, perhaps? Yeah...maybe. If you haven’t followed along in a while, or just completely gave up on me for lack of posting (and I really don’t blame you!) then maybe you missed out on the news that I have a new blog all about Ziggy. That’s what I’m calling the “bump” right now...hop on over and check it out! Click here if you’re interested!

So, now that we all understand what’s kept me let’s get back on track! I would really, really like to finish off my wedding recaps BEFORE my 6 month anniversary...a date that is looming on the horizon...but I’m pretty sure that I can do it. I’m motivated...and the chance to offer myself a prize is almost too tempting to pass up. What could I give myself? Hmmm...well, while I’m thinking on that – please don’t tell me that I’m the only person out there that rewards themselves for a job well done! – let’s get caught back up.

Where were we? Oh yeah. Headed to the hair salon...for a “quick” appointment...

It all started off so well. The trial that I did a short two weeks before the wedding went off without a hitch...and all of the girls and flower girl were scheduled to come into the salon at some point that morning to get their hair did. (That’s something that we say in East Texas...or that some people in East Texas say...I don’t really use that expression in everyday life.) I would have liked for us to all go at the same time, but beggars can’t be choosers, and when you wait until two weeks before the big day to schedule this at all...you really just have to take what’s offered to you.

There were two appts that could happen simultaneously at 9am, and then one at 10:30 and the last at 11 that morning...so we staggered ourselves around that schedule. My initial thinking was that J would go last...since #1 – she’s seven and keeping a hair do up between 11 and 5 would be a small miracle anyway, and #2 – I didn’t really have a concept for what I wanted with her hair, so I wanted to go first and get mine over with and then have her go last so that I could be there to supervise. Because I’m a hair expert. Not. Just because I like being in charge.

In the end? Yeah, it didn’t happen that way. In the end, J wasn’t going anywhere without me, or maybe I should say that she wasn’t going to let me go anywhere without her...yeah, that’s more appropriate. So she and I headed off at 9am for our hair appts. Then MOH and Maid Britney could fight over who would take the later appts. So I grabbed my veil, we double checked that we had on loose, button-up shirts and off we went. I visited with the girl that was doing J’s hair first, since Autumn wasn’t quite ready for me yet, and she and I agreed on curls pinned back off of her face and J decided on which tiara to wear. Perfect.

Then I slipped into my own chair and settled back for Autumn to work her magic like she did the week before.

Except the magic was starting.

Hmmm...should I be alarmed?

I glance over my shoulder to see Autumn alternating her stare between the photos that she took during our trial run and my veil. I asked if there was a problem, and she said “I don’t know.” Now, in case you’re not sure about this...let me tell you straight up and honest. Having someone tell you that they don’t know if there’s a problem on your wedding day is generally not the best of news. It’s really not. Sure, there might be a solution, but for that one small minute, you have a mini-heart attack. Your mind shuts down and the world goes grey...

I assumed that the problem was with the veil, since the trial went well, and there could be no problems with that. On top of that great deductive reasoning, I decided that it has to be a problem with the veil because I didn’t have the veil with me at the trial. Sure enough, I’m one smart cookie. There was an issue with the veil.

Apparently, the lady that made my veil (who saved me about $200) used a rather large head comb. Not a problem if you’re doing a high veil, like towards the crown of your head. But since I was choosing to place my veil underneath my up-do at the base of my head...do you see where I’m going with this? If not, let me try to draw you a better picture.

When you held up the comb of the veil against the back of my head (like in the area level with behind your ears) the comb was sticking out my AT LEAST one inch on either side. Now. I know that one inch doesn’t sound like that much...but when you’re talking about it sticking out from the side of your head...when 160 people are going to spend an hour staring at the back of your head during your wedding...an inch on either side becomes a larger deal.

Are we on the same page? Good.

Once my vision comes back and I can breathe easily again, I see that Autumn is already working on a game plan. Our first plan of action was the break the hair comb, making it “bend” around my head easier. But that didn’t work – I don’t know what those things are made of (not cheap plastic), but it wouldn’t crack for any of the 5 ladies in the salon who tried. My next thought was to just go without the veil. But after all the hard work that Maid Britney had put into it, I just couldn’t bring myself to actively consider that option.

Our eventual solution was to change my hair style. Autumn kept it as similar to what we started out with as possible, but had to alter the style at the base of my head to hide the comb a bit. As you can imagine, all of this ended up taking a little longer than anticipated, so I was in the chair quite a while. And the weight of my hair was falling in a different spot, but that couldn’t be avoided at that point either. Overall, I was pleased, but not thrilled with the end result. It looked nice, don’t get me wrong, and Autumn did an AMAZING job on the fly like that, but I had really, really loved my trial up-do...

It worked out, as J’s hair wasn’t as responsive to the curls that I had envisioned or the pins that the hairstylist was trying to tame it all down with. I tried to tell the girl that was working on her hair that although I liked what she had done, I wasn’t sure that it would last until 5pm in the nicest way possible. Her solution? To spray more hairspray on...NOT what I had meant. Oh well. I grabbed J and away we went...over to Redbud Hall to check the status of things and drop off our bags and such. Then we needed to head back to the hotel to take a quick rinse off and get the final load ready to bring with us...

And just on a side note...we ended up squeezing one more teeny-tiny trip back to the salon to have J’s hair fixed. I tried to tell them that it wouldn’t stay like she had it. Yeah, it didn’t. It fell down within the hour, to be precise...but what do you do? Well, I don’t know what you would do, but I went back, showed them the damage, looked at my watch, detailed the time that we had been gone, then calmly and politely asked for it to be put up the way that I had asked in the first place. A ponytail was all that ended up working...but we did get some curls re-done while we were there and a look at the Maids who were still getting gussied up!

I couldn't find a good picture of just my hair...maybe somewhere in the 2,000 images that I got from my photographer? Oh yeah, I don't have the desire to look through those...but here's a shot taken by a friend/family member that kind of gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. See how WIDE the veil is?
Yeah, it really shouldn't be that wide. You can almost tell that it's sticking out past my scalp...but not really. Like I said, Autumn did a GREAT job with what she had to work with. It gave my whole over-all look a more structured, "done" look than what I was going for...but oh well. It looked pretty, no one but me really knew the difference anyway, and the world kept on turning. B still said "I Do" at the right moment, no matter what my hair looked like, and that's all that's really important...

Need to catch up? Here’s some links:
Girls’ Spa Day
Bachelor/Bachelorette Party
Setting Up the Venue…
Practice Makes Perfect…
Rehearsal Dinner
5 Minutes is All that I Need

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story, I really enjoyed reading it very much. Congratulations on your wedding, I wish you all the happiness in the world! Feel free to visit me back :)

    ReplyDelete