Thursday, August 27, 2009

What to Do with Your Dress?

You know which dress I’m talking about...THE wedding dress...YOUR wedding dress. This is a topic that I really haven’t seen a lot posted about on the boards and other blogs that I read daily. So I figured that I might try to get you all to weigh in on things to help me out.

There’s really only a few options that I can think of:
1. Keep it forever (or at least until later when the “connection” to it isn’t as strong)
2. Sell it
3. Donate it to a charity

Or maybe I should say that those were the only options I had thought about BEFORE I had a conversation with Maid Britney a few weeks back. (I’ve had this on my “back burner” for a while since I was focused on other things.)

I don’t remember how the topic came up, but one day we were chatting back and forth and she mentioned her wedding dress. Oh, I know! She was moving into her house, and we were talking about all of the things in her closet – that’s right. Anyway. She mentions her wedding gown and says that she really needs to decide what to do with it. It’s been almost a year since her own wedding, and the dress has just been in her closet this whole time.

A look crosses her face like a light bulb went off and she said that there was something that maybe I could help her with. She started telling me about going to a bridal show somewhere up in Dallas during the year and a half that she was planning her wedding and had seen that there was a company that made quilts out of wedding dresses. She said that the quilts that were made were just gorgeous, and she would love to have one. Was that something that I could help her with? Maybe make it for her?

Well, sure. Sign me up! You know that I love a challenge and I figure that after I finish my own wedding quilt (from the guest “book”) that I’ll be a pro at making a quilt. Or at least more familiar with the process than I am now. LOL. After clarifying with Maid Britney that this would be AFTER my own wedding was over and done with, we agreed to talk about it later. But I really can’t get the idea off of my mind.

This is where you all come in...You see, I haven’t really had any free time to search for ideas for how to do this or tutorials on this subject from other brides. Is there a specific pattern out there to use, or can you just use any quilt pattern that you like? (That’s what I’m assuming) Did you do this with your own wedding dress? Or do you know someone that did? Or have you seen a post about it on a blog somewhere else that I can check out?


I’m pretty much just asking for help on this one...I think that this is a REALLY cool idea for what to do with the dress, if don’t want to keep it for future generations to possibly wear. If you find something that you think that I should check out, leave a comment with the info or click on the “Email Me” button on the right and let me know. I appreciate it and I’ll be sure and post credit for the find!

6 comments:

  1. That's a GREAT idea! I wish I had advice - but I'm the kind of girl that has a sewing machine that's been sitting in my closet since I got it almost 3 years ago ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow—a wedding quilt! That's really cool. If you don't have enough time to do it yourself, I'm sure many quilt shops would be happy to take on the project. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://quiltsbykate.blogspot.com/2009/02/joannas-wedding-dress-quilt.html

    Found this link that might help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Below is the link to the Quilters Against Breast Cancer site where I actually got the idea from.

    http://makingmemories.org/quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Melody - that's my thought with my guest book quilt...I'm going to sew the pieces for the top together and the backing, but then take it to a lady I know that does that actual quilting process...that's a little over MY head.
    @alishaneva - TOO funny. Mine goes missing for periods of time too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea! I found a link:

    http://www.quiltsbycindy.com/weddingdress.htm

    My mom makes T-Shirt quilts and denim quilts and all kinds of quilts...and I really think you could just pick a pattern you like and go for it! Material is material, right? I think a lot of it would depend on how much material you will be able to get out of your wedding dress, you know?

    ReplyDelete