Monday, March 16, 2009

Would you rather...?

Good morning to you, Good morning to you…

Yeah, I know. For those of you who aren’t morning people you’re probably hating my guts right about now. That’s ok. I’m not really a morning person either. Well, not this morning. I’m tired this morning, just didn’t sleep well, I guess. So you know what they say…if you can’t make it – FAKE it…so all that good morning cheeriness is just fake.

Does that make you feel better?

It should.

But probably doesn’t.

Oh well. It’s another week at work, and it’s a hard week for me. You know why? It’s SPRING BREAK! You know, right after college ended and this full-time working girl made it around to March, it was really sad to be gainfully employed. I still lived in the town where I went to college, and there was a notable difference in the air as Spring Break loomed closer. I think that I even took a few days off that first year – to transition myself. LOL!

Anyway, that’s just one of the many things that I miss about not being an adult. I mean, when you’re in college you think that you’re an adult because you live all on your own, you’re responsible for your choices and stuff, and you might be of legal age to consume alcoholic beverages. But that’s not what makes you an adult in my eyes. Being an adult is more about responsibility…not being able to “skip” work (which I was the QUEEN of skipping classes in college – oh the good ol’ days…) and doing what you don’t really want to do because you have to. It’s not always fun. Sure, there are perks along the way, but are they really worth it?

I’m not sure. You see, this weekend we played a game with the kiddos. It’s called “Would you rather…?” The way the game works is that everyone takes turns asking questions about what you would rather do between two choices. The choices can be silly, or in my daughter’s case not even remotely intelligent, or they can be on a more serious tone. And this was one of the questions that Mr. CC asked – “Would you rather be a kid or an adult?”

My answer was fast and bold. A kid. Hands down. No questions asked.

Mr. CC gave the same answer.

The kids I think had to think on it a little bit more. Our son probably gave the same answer, as he’s 11 and an astute 11 year-old boy and he knows that it’s not always fun and games to be the adult. My 6 year-old daughter on the other hand probably answered an adult. Then again, she also chose being pretty over being smart…so maybe her answer should be nullified.

So, here in Austin, it’s the first day of Spring Break. And there are at least ten other places that I can think of that I’d rather be than here at work, being the adult. In bed fast asleep tops the list. Followed closely either by warm, sunny beaches or fresh powder on the slopes. It’s a toss up between those two, but the bed beats both of them!

Where would you like to be on this Spring Break? Right where you are, or somewhere else? And what would your answer be – kid or adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment