Monday, September 14, 2009

Letter to the Editor...

Ok, so it’s not really a letter to the editor. But a title like “Letter to the Man Who Makes the Flight Schedules” just didn’t have the right ring to it, if you know what I mean. LOL. So here goes:

To Whom it May Concern (at all major airlines):
What does it take to get you people to schedule a normal flight time to somewhere tropical in destination from Austin, TX? You know, something leaving at a nice time like 10:00 or 11:00 in the morning. Not 6:00am. Not 5:35 am. Those are NOT acceptable times for a bride to be getting up and getting on an airplane. I mean, there are things to consider. Maybe you’re not aware of those things that need to be considered, so I thought that I’d take a few minutes and try to help you out. This way, you’ll have a better understanding of the situation and maybe you’ll be inclined to help a bride out.
You see, here’s the deal. I’ve been planning this wedding for 11 months now. What does that mean to you? That means that I’m tired. By the time the wedding is done and over, I just want to relax. On a beach with a tropical breeze. Preferably with a frozen beverage in my hand and a good book laying beside me in the sand, should the mood strike me to read. (I would like for all of this to happen without the chance of hurricanes, but I understand that that needs to be a different letter – you have no control over the weather.) So that’s really all that I want. Is it too much to ask? It must be, because there is not a single flight out of Austin International Airport heading to a tropical destination that doesn’t leave after 6:00am.
Now, before you get your panties in a wad, let me reassure you that I DID see the flights that you have going out at 11:30 and 1:10...but did you check and see the arrival times? Or the number of connections that require me to make it to my final destination? Yeah, they’re not so good. They have me landing at my tropical honeymoon destination at 11:12pm...or 9:35pm. And even if the arrival time is good, there are THREE flight connections to be made. And do you know what that means? That means that this tired bride who just wants to get away for a bit will have to struggle to transition from airport to airport, sleeping on hard seats next to strangers, relying totally on her new hubby to bring her food and beverages during the day while she’s near comatose due to wedding stress and enjoyment the day before just to arrive at her dream vacation spot in the middle of the night.
That’s one whole day of my honeymoon wasted on travel. I don’t like that.
And yes, I probably could get up at the butt-crack of dawn to catch a flight that will still have three connections to make, but will at least arrive me at my destination of choice during the middle of the afternoon, or early evening at worst. But you see, my FILs have been super-duper sweet and have booked FI and I this amazingly rockin’ suite for our honeymoon night spent here in Austin, going so far as to include the breakfast for us...but yet I’d only get to spend about 5 hours in that room. And that’s not fair. That’s not fair to me. That’s not fair to them, and it’s certainly not fair to the room that only gets to be appreciated for those short hours.
So do you think that you could adjust the flight schedules for the day in question? I’d like to either go to St. Thomas, USVI or San Juan, PR if it’s not too much trouble. And I’d like to leave during the middle of the day (even 10:30 am is ok) and have a flight with only one connection in Houston/Dallas before arriving at my dream vacation destination while it is still daylight outside and early enough for a dip in the ocean before getting dressed up for dinner and drinks.
I don’t think that it’s too much to ask, I really don’t. You’d have my future flight business for life, I promise. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Anyone else struggling with airlines and scheduling conflicts with your honeymoon? Is there anyone out there flying at normal times?

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister! I ran into this same problem with the Austin airport. You'd think we're a big enough city that getting direct flights wouldn't be such a big problem. I ended up booking a flight on Southwest to a bigger city and getting a direct flight from there. For PR or USVI, you might try booking a JetBlue flight to NYC and going from there or a Southwest flight to somewhere in Florida. Good luck, and let us know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete