Monday, August 31, 2009

Postage Options

So, I’m a girl. And a girlie girl at that. Honestly, if I have to pay a little bit more for something to look better, in my opinion, it’s totally worth it. I don’t lie about this. It’s part of who I am. Accept it, embrace it, and move on.

This little quirk of mine also applies to our wedding. More specifically to our wedding invitations. Now that the suite is finished, I did what I said that I would do, and I brought a finished invite to work with me to weigh it in today...this was smart before I go and buy the stamps, right? Right.

I reverently placed MOH’s invite on the postage scale and held my breath. It read out that I would need $.61 of postage to mail my babies off. (Yes, I just called my invitations my children. When you’ve worked this hard and slaved and worried over them for as long as I have, they’re like family!) After finding that out, what is the first thing that you think that I would do when I got home?

If you guessed checking USPS online to see what stamps options are available, you’re RIGHT! I logged in real quick and took a peak at the “Additional Postage” options out there. Here’s what I came up with:


source of all images


My favorite? The wedding cake. That one comes in right at $.61, which makes it perfect for my budget. I know what you’re asking yourself right about now...well, S, if the design is great and the postage meter says that’s how much postage you need, then what’s the problem? Why the long post?

Here it is. I haven’t embossed the outer envelope. I wasn’t sure that I was going to, but after seeing it all together, it looks a little plain to me...I think that it needs a little something to punch it up a little bit, and our scroll stamp is perfect. Since we used it on the outer envelopes for our Save the Dates and it’s on the actual invitation, it’s the perfect thing to dress up the envelope a bit. But what will it do to the weight of my invitation? Do you think that it would be enough to tip the invite into a higher postage bracket? I don’t know.

I see two options. #1) Cross my fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed and hold my breath while I emboss one and then re-weigh it tomorrow on the postage scale. Pray to the heavens above that my little stamp and embossing powder will NOT add enough extra weight to the suite to cause me to need more postage. #2) Go ahead and buy a different stamp that has extra postage built into it. There are several that I like, and maybe B won’t have an opinion...oh wait, who am I kidding? I’ve got the world’s most opinionated groom in history! And I LOVE it! Don’t take that the wrong way honey and get defensive!

What’s your vote? What would you do? The other thing to consider is that the post offices might not have the actual stamp that we select, and I’ll have to order it. Granted, it only takes two days to get here...but that would put me past my own deadline...decisions, decisions, decisions. Such is the life of a bride!

1 comment:

  1. hi! its my first time visiting your blog! i love it:) love the wedding cake stamp by the way!!

    i am getting married this Nov. 14th; when's yours? its nice to find a bride to be blogger!! lol

    come visit me sometime:)

    Noelle

    ReplyDelete