Saturday, July 11, 2009

Birthday Celebration

So I mentioned the other day that part of my “downfall” on the work out wagon last week was the birthday celebrations that I partook in. Is partook an actual word? I’m not sure, but you know what I’m talking about. Anyway, the reason for this is because it turned into a three-day long celebration.

Here’s how it all went down. Mr. CC had been being secretive about my birthday surprise for the last few weeks. Since I love surprises (NOT!) I was on pins and needles trying to wait patiently for the big day. Yeah, I don’t do that well either, and since Mr. CC is HORRIBLE at keeping secrets, I kinda knew what was happening beforehand. But since I wasn’t 100% sure what it was, I wouldn’t confess what I thought it was to Mr. CC when he asked.

So, the big day rolls around. It’s an odd year for me, 33. I can’t think of too many people that celebrate 33 really big. But in my family, growing up your birthday was YOUR day. It was the one day a year that was solely about YOU – and lucky for me, Mr. CC was raised the same way so we celebrate our birthdays in BIG ways.

5 minutes before midnight the night before my birthday I got my first “happy birthday.”

Then I got a sweet “happy birthday” good-bye kiss as he made his way off to work while I was still snoozing away.

He had already told me that his goal was to actually tell me “Happy Birthday” 33 times throughout the day. It was fun to count and keep track of it all! Little did I know that his actual intent was to say it 33 times over the course of the celebrations. Dinner was my choice that night, and after a stressful week at work, moving offices all the previous two days, I was pooped. Mr. CC’s parents called to see if they could take us to lunch. I begged off, being too tired and just wanting to sit and do nothing. We ended up eating leftovers and watching a movie of my choice. I think that it was “. I’m really a homebody, and was really looking forward to our birthday celebration the next day.

I was only told that I would need an overnight bag and be prepared to make lots of decisions on what I wanted to eat, what I wanted to do, and where I wanted to go. Are you noticing a pattern here? It was all about ME, which was SO cool!

So we slept late. I got up way before Mr. CC, which is the way that it works sometimes, and I worked on our guestbook rings. I LOVE sewing and having a project to work on, but since I have to sit at our dining room table to do it, I try to just work on things in stages when Mr. CC isn’t around. Him sleeping late was the perfect excuse for me to get some sewing time in.

But once he was up and about, we got all packed up and headed out. We stopped for a quick brunch and then the shopping commenced. We went to several stores, and once it started to get really hot outside we headed for the mall. Mr. CC had gotten a good chuckle the night before when I asked if the weekend was all about me, if that included him taking me to get my brows done…

The mall was nice and all in all, I scored a new pair of shoes, a new pair of earrings, a new dress, a pair of pants and unlimited shopping at VS! Plus the eyebrow wax. Sweet! About this time I got all pooped out. It was time for the big reveal. Where we were going to stay.

A long time ago, when Mr. CC and I first dated, we were strolling through an eclectic part of Austin, South Congress district, aka SoCo. I pointed out this quaint little hotel that I had admired and fell in love with upon first sight when I moved to Austin several years earlier. Mr. CC, being the romantic that he is, remembered this conversation and booked us a night’s stay at the hotel. May I present to you the Hotel San Jose…

Isn’t it gorgeous!?!?!

Check out those gardens?!?!

(source photo 1, 2, 3)

I loved every minute of it. We checked in and settled our bags and looked around for a few minutes. Then we headed up the street to Guerro’s Taco Bar for some tasty margaritas. A few of those later and I was ready to get ready for dinner. Mr. CC took me to a favorite of ours, the Macaroni Grill. I know, it’s just a big chain restaurant, but we never go there to eat and it’s SO yummy! Since pasta isn’t really on our diets, I knew that this would be a treat worthy of a birthday celebration.

After dinner, we went back to the hotel and dropped off our truck, called a cab and headed down to 6th street. We have a favorite bar/pub on 6th street in Austin, a little place called B.D. Riley’s. It’s a good bar for some live jazz/blues type of music, and we’re never disappointed when we go there. We hung out there for a few hours and were then ready to call it quits. We took a cab back to our hotel and settled in for a long sleep. It was really nice.

The rest of the weekend followed those same basic guidelines. Whatever I wanted to do, we did. Wherever I wanted to go, we went. Whatever show/movie I wanted to watch, we watched. I was flattered and touched. More importantly to me, the fact that Mr. CC went to SO much trouble to make my day special just warmed my heart all to pieces. Yeah, I know, it’s gushy and mushy and kinda yucky…but I’m the luckiest girl that I know! He’s a great guy, and I can’t say “THANK YOU” enough.

He was even sweet enough to get the key from the hotel for my scrapbook. The key was an actual key (unheard of these days with electronic locks!) and it had a cool keychain. Apparently at the front desk, you could buy a replica key chain…so he bought one and then switched the key chains so that we kept the beat-up looking one that we were given. SO sweet and thoughtful…

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment