Friday, May 15, 2009

TGIF!!!

Can I get an AMEN on that?

Anyone?

Whew. What a week. I don’t know about all of you out there in the vastness that forms the world wide web (or the five people who actually READ this blog!) but this has been one rough week for Miss Cotton Candy.

The good news? Well…I got my hotel block of rooms set up! And I started the week off right with finishing the tissue paper flower pomanders that I’ve been working on since…well, February. So that does deserve a good pat on the back.

The bad news? I don’t really know that I did much else. Work was a bear this week. I don’t know what happened, but a project hit me out of the blue last week and as much as I tried my darnedest to contain it to JUST last week…didn’t really work out that way.

I work for a large company. And this company has several divisions. And within each division there are more divisions. Right now, the Home Office is trying to get all of us on ONE computer system for ease of reporting. They’ve been working on this project for a year and a half now, and I’ve been heavily involved since about this time last year. It’s not going so well. We’re STILL having design meetings, since what was designed and delivered and is now currently operating (notice I didn’t say that it was operating well?) doesn’t meet the needs of the “business.” But the problem with meeting the needs of the business is that each little division has its own needs/requirements. And we’re not backing down or agreeing to compromise on anything.

Frankly, it’s starting to annoy me. I can only imagine how the designers/developers/programmers feel. Not to mention the Help Desk support team. This is nuts.

Someone just needs to make a decision and tell everyone else to follow that decision. Sounds easy enough, right? Wrong. Apparently when you get to the point where you work for XYZ big corporation, each division has a leader (CEO) and that CEO has to take advice from the smaller division leaders (not really sure what those people are called). I don’t know if Chief Head-Honcho just can’t make up his mind, or won’t. I really don’t know what the problem is.

But do these people just not get that I don’t care anymore at this point? I’m so tired of it all. I mean really. Does it take a committee to discuss the decision from every possible angle (and a few angles that you might NEVER have thought of) hemming and hawing over each minute detail of the decision to be made. Then that committee takes the decision to the business and hears what the business has to say (we gripe and complain a lot, us peons!). So the business hears all sides, but isn’t told the decision. The committee takes the discussions of the business and forms its opinion and give it to the Chief Head-Honcho. And then in the end, the Chief Head-Honcho does whatever he thinks is best.

Which may or may not go along with the recommendations of the committee.

Repeat said process for EACH and EVERY single decision to be made…

You see how exhausting this is? I’m beat.

Maybe they don’t know that I’m planning a wedding. Well, they all know that I’m getting married, but maybe they don’t realize that I want to enjoy my weekends, so wedding planning has to happen during the week. And they’re REALLY cutting into my internet surfing for more inspiration time. How uncool.

Maybe I should form a committee to discuss this and let the Chief Head-Honcho know that this is upsetting me greatly…because I’m SURE that he cares! Not really. So here’s to a happy Friday to all of us (the 5 people reading this blog and myself). I hope that you have a good weekend. I will. Soccer game, parents are visiting, eating some delicious Salt Lick BBQ (and peach cobbler), time with friends and fiancé. What more could a girl ask for?

Have a GREAT weekend…before you know it, Sunday night is here and the conference calls begin again…

1 comment:

  1. At least you’re not in this sinking boat alone. I am completely exhausted!!!! On top of all this stupid decision meetings that take up so much of my time I can’t seem to get anything done during the day so I have to go home and work until all hours of the night I have to re-apply for my current job!!!! How stupid is this????

    ReplyDelete